Applications are now open for the 2017 Made in NY Micro Grants awarding Media Center entrepreneurs with $2,500 – $10,000 equity-free funding.
DEADLINE: Friday, May 12th at 11:59 EST.
*Must be a Media Center member to apply for this grant. See membership options here
PROJECT TIMEFRAME: June 1, 2017 – August 31, 2017
SHORTLISTED REVIEW: May 16, 2017
FINALIST SELECTION: May 22, 2017
RESIDENCY START: June 1, 2017
Executive Director, IFP + Made in NY Media Center by IFP
Community Engagement, Made in NY Media Center by IFP
Associate, Archer Gray
(In no particular order)
- Innovative | Unique | Multi-disciplinary projects across platforms
- Media Entrepreneurs and innovation
- Early stage technology companies
- Demonstrated financial plan for beginning phase of project
- Multi-disciplinary projects across platforms
- Documentary series or filmmaking
- Narrative series or filmmaking
- Immersive Technology (VR/AR/MR)
(Please note all applicants must meet the basic eligibility requirements to apply)
- Projects MUST be in the Media and Technology industries
- Media + Technology companies MUST be in the beginning funding stages at the time of application. (Note: companies at funding stage Series A and greater are not eligible for grant funds.)
- Start-up companies with 1-5 employees are eligible. (Note: companies with more than five full-time employees are not eligible for funding.)
- Companies operating under a D/B/A MUST have a Certificate of Authority
- Companies MUST provide proof of business registration (AG registration and / or tax-filings are accepted.)
- Individuals MUST be a New York City resident at time of the award (Proof of residency in the form of a current rental agreement, utility bill, ID card, Driver’s License or voter registration card are acceptable.)
- Non-Profit Organizations MUST be a NYS registered 501c3 (Note: New York State Tax Exemption Certificate from the Department of Taxation + Finance is Not considered proof of non-profit status and Not accepted.)
- Companies primary place of business MUST be in New York City
- Companies MUST provide proof of a business registration form (AG registration and / or tax-filings are accepted.)
- The majority of the team MUST be New York City-based
Made in NY Micro Grants are not awarded to the following
- Public school districts and their affiliates
- Public Universities and/or Colleges
- Federal, New York State Agencies and local agencies-departments and municipalities
- Companies that are not New York City- based
- Majority of the team is not New York City – based
- Non-profits without a NYS 501c3
- Incubators with more than five fulltime employees
- Technology companies in Series A funding or greater
- Capital expenditures, i.e. purchasing general office equipment – computers, copiers, etc.
- Major expenditures for the establishment of new business/organizations
- General operating expenses
- Fellowships at professional training schools
- Lobbying expenses
- Contingency funds
- Re-granting Made in NY Micro Grant funds
- Entertainment costs including theater parties, galas, openings, receptions, and fund-raising benefits
- Any good, service, or fee not outlined / specified in the grant proposal
Strength of applications will be judged on the following
- Projects that fall within the program priorities
- Quality, strength and novelty of the project
- Evidence that the project’s phase in the application has potential to be completed during the grant cycle
- Feasibility of the project – fulfillment of estimated time frame and expectations
- Professionalism of overall application, initial budget and required proof of residency/status/certificate
All Made in NY Micro Grant awardees are required to adhere to the following
- All grantees are required to adhere to a contract during the grant cycle with the Made In NY Media Center by IFP, which outlines the terms of their grant. Please note that The Media Center will include provisions that allow for cancellation of the grant / return of funds for non-compliance.
- Must become an Incubator Member for 3 months at the Made in NY Media Center by IFP.
- All grantees must print the following credit line in all programs or printed materials describing the funded project.
“ This project _insert name___is incubating in the Made in NY Media Center by IFP”
- Must submit an initial budget and outline the project
- Must submit an in-progress budget and project report no later than June 10, 2017
- Must submit a final report and final budget no later than August 15, 2017
- Must document and retain all receipts pertaining to the project and complete (2) evaluations
Applications are submitted online. However, certain documents must be e-mailed and received by the deadline, Friday, May 12th at 11:59 EST. to be considered complete.1.) Applications are submitted online. However, certain documents must be e-mailed and received by the deadline, Friday, May 12th at 11:59 EST. to be considered complete. All applications must be typed and submitted electronically via the Made in NY Media Center by IFP website. Applications cannot be saved, once the submit button is pressed you cannot go back to change or edit your application. Application here.
2.) Email initial budget form and proof of residency, either copy of license, ID card, rental agreement, utility bill, AG registration, Certificate of Authority or registered NYS 501c3 to Michelle Carollo, Community Engagement Manager.